Eat at Home for Weight Loss
One of the easiest ways to lose weight without dieting is to make meal planning and eating at home a regular habit. Preparing meals at home not only helps you lose weight, it ensure that you are putting healthy food in your body. When you control the calories and the ingredients in your food, your chances of successful weight loss and good health are much higher.
If you are used to eating out often, the idea of cooking at home can seem a bit overwhelming. Other commitments like after school sports, exercise, business engagements or deadlines, and homework can leave little time for cooking meals. At the end of a hectic day, the take out window looks pretty appealing.
Keeping it Simple!
So how do you accomplish cooking healthy, low calorie, great tasting food without adding another project to your day? The trick is to keep it simple!
The first thing to consider when planning meals for the week is what your calendar looks like. How long will your chosen recipes take to prepare? Choosing recipes that take no more than 20 minutes will allow you to eat healthy and lose weight without feeling totally overwhelmed.
Five Steps for Quick and Easy Home Cooking
1) Plan your meals for the week. Choose quick low calorie recipes for each night you plan on cooking. I recommend Cooking Light’s Super Fast Recipe Selection. These recipes are 20 minutes or less and they are delicious! Add a salad as a side to your meals to feel more full, and get extra fruits and veggies in your diet.
2) Make a shopping list. Make a list of all the ingredients you will need before heading out to the store. This will eliminate last minute trips to the store which can suck up your time or tempt you to opt for take out.
3) Make extra! Make extra servings that can be used for lunch or dinner the next day.
4) Have a back up! Keep healthy frozen meals in the freezer for the days that do not go as planned. I keep frozen organic pizzas, wild caught fish sticks, frozen vegetables, and french fries on hand at all times.
Pick a few staples that appeal to you for your own freezer. Or, freeze leftovers to keep on hand for a last minute meal. Make a salad while the meal is heating in the oven, and you’ll have a healthy meal to keep your weight loss efforts on track.
5) It’s okay to cheat. Buy pre-made items that will save you time. Things like organic pasta sauces, jarred salsas, and sauces are great time savers when recipes call for making these sauces from scratch. Avoid buying anything with partially hydrogenated oils or high fructose corn syrup in it. It’s best when you recognize everything on the label.
You don’t need to spend a lot of time in the kitchen to eat healthy. And, you do not have to be a master chef either. Keep it simple and you will lose the weight without adding the overwhelm.
Have a quick and easy low calorie recipe you’d like to share? Please comment below! I would love to hear from you!
Blessings to you and yours!